Saturday, May 11, 2013

Want More Referrals? Do This Today

You know about positive reinforcement, right? If you want more of a certain behavior, reward it.

It works with children, dogs, college roommates ... and referrals.

Let me explain ...

Below is a thank-you note I just got in the mail from my friend (and ace tax accountant), Linda Haller. She wrote to thank me for a referral I sent her a few weeks ago.

This is very smart, for several reasons ...


First, sending a thank-you note after a referral is simply the right thing to do. It's a basic sign of competence, like zipping your fly or brushing your teeth. If you screw this up, what else will you get wrong in your business?

Second, writing to say, "Thank you" makes the writer feel good. Because you get to relive the warm, fuzzy experience of having a new client dropped in your lap, which is what my referral was for Linda. So, I'm sure she felt good after sending this note to me.

Third, a thank-you note makes the recipient feel good. In this case, me. I had truly forgotten about sending these two nice people to Linda, so her card made me relive those good feelings.

Fourth and finally, by rewarding me for a referral like this, guess what? Linda is going to get more referrals from me. Because I feel very good about sending my friends and colleagues to someone as thoughtful as she is.

When you add it all up, I count four benefits from one humble thank-you note. That's a pretty good ROI.

More importantly, what are you going to do about this? 

Meanwhile, if you want to more clients like your best clients, my free Client Cloning Kit can help. Grab your free copy now, while they last

No comments:

Post a Comment