Monday, November 15, 2010

Productivity Tip: Hanging, Nekkid Body Scanners, TSA Crotch Patdowns

Samuel Johnson said, "...when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

Today, with the new TSA Nekkid X-Rays and Crotch Patdowns in place, you could easily replace hanging with flying.

Because, as much as we hate the hassle of business travel, it does concentrate the mind wonderfully.

Case in point: In a few hours, I'm flying to Philadelphia to give a speech tomorrow morning on careers. Then, I fly to Minneapolis to give another speech tomorrow night, on copywriting.

And you know what?

I've done more work in two hours this morning than I typically do in 4 or 5. Because I didn't have time to read the newspaper for 30 minutes over breakfast, or check out my favorite blogs, or otherwise goof off.

With a hard deadline looming -- leaving for the airport at 1:30 -- I have to work all the time I'm working this morning. What a rare experience. And how sad.

But you've had the same experience. Think of your last business trip -- didn't you get more done in the hours before you had to leave? Sure you did. You had no choice.

Now. Wouldn't it be nice if every day were as productive as a travel day?

Well, there's nothing stopping you (or me) from setting deadlines -- even little ones, like meeting the spouse for lunch or calling a client -- to concentrate the mind and get more done.

Best part: No TSA body searches or X-rays required ... and you can keep your shoes on.

(For more ideas like these, download Guaranteed Marketing for Service Business Owners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment