Friday, June 10, 2011

Sales Scripts: A Proven Shortcut for People Who Hate to Sell

Want to turn more prospects into clients for your business?

Start selling better. And a simple way to do so is to script your sales conversations.

By scripting, I mean using proven responses to tough objections, like: "I can't afford it," or "I want to think about it."

At this point, you may be rolling your eyes ...

"I don't want to read from a script and sound like a telemarketer," you think. Or, "I have to be flexible with every caller," or "My business is different."

Any objections to sales scripts are nonsense. Because you're already using them -- right now.

Anytime a prospect asks you, "How much does it cost?" or "What's your guarantee?" and you reply with an answer you've used before, that's a sales script.

Why keep winging it by failing to plan your answers? There's no valid reason not to use a proven sales script, whether it's on the phone with a prospect or in person.

The good news is, if you’ve ever made a sale and can write down what you said, you have the basis for a million-dollar book of scripts. It all starts when you "can and clone" that first collection of winning words.

And if you're worried about sounding stiff, like a bad telemarketer, here's a simple solution: practice your scripts, just like an actor.

Here's an example from my own experience ...

I was speaking to a prospect for my resume service years ago who sounded ready to buy ... until he said: "I want to think about it."

I had heard that before. You, too?

But, because I had heard that one -- and answered it -- before, I looked down at my script and replied: "Two heads are better than one. Why don't we think about it right now?"

It turned out that he was concerned about price. I told him about my payment plans and money-back guarantee. He was sold, right there on the phone, and gave me his credit card number.

Now. I guarantee you he would have never called me back after "thinking about it." He would have been poorly served by choosing one of my inferior competitors or trying to fix his problem alone. And I would have been out one sale.

Sales scripts can pay you back. Big time.

Here's a note I got yesterday from a client I worked with to develop a sales script:

"Thanks to your outstanding sales coaching I snagged a reluctant Angie's List member. When I mentioned we do not charge diagnostic fees and just get to work, she was amazed. She then had ammo to ask competitors and found out our originally higher price was a real bargain ... even when compared to service providers within a mile of her house!"

To create your own sales scripts, start writing down anything you've ever said to a prospect that closed a sale.

Then, keep adding to your scripts as you develop new answers to tough questions. Practice your answers before making a sales call or whenever you have free time.

Remember: You're already using scripts when talking to prospects by phone or in person, or when you're networking and giving an elevator pitch. So you might as well use a proven script.

Write down and practice the words that sell, and you'll have a script for success in your business.

You'll find more ideas like these in my Free Report, Guaranteed Marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment